Are you interested in journalism, digital publishing, or news media? YGK News is now hiring a Campus Reporter! Work with our Campus Editor to identify developing issues on Queen’s University, St. Lawrence College, and Royal Military College campuses and bridge the student and resident communities in Kingston. The position requires three 200- to 1000-word articles monthly and is initially voluntary, with possible compensation from ad revenue.
- Write well-constructed articles according to the Canadian Press Style Guide
- Use reliable sources, well-researched materials, and fact-checked data
- Engage with the Queen’s, SLC, and RMC communities to identify and investigate developing issues
- Attend virtual press conferences, town halls, and other events as needed
- Attend, work at, or otherwise be knowledgeable of Queen’s University, St. Lawrence College, or Royal Military College
- Have at least one published work in news media (ex. written articles, video interviews, etc.)
Application deadline: 11:00pm on Sunday, February 7th, 2021
Please submit one to two published work samples and a resume. A cover letter is optional.
We provide equal opportunities for all applicants and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, disability and conviction for an offence for which a pardon has been granted or in respect of which a record suspension has been ordered. To that end, we will provide accommodations where possible for persons with disabilities and mental and physical health conditions.
About YGK News
YGK News is a news outlet that aims to bridge the student and resident communities in Kingston, Ontario. Born from a CFRC radio show, we were founded on the need to discuss issues neglected by other news outlets and we now endeavour to deliver timely, engaging media and journalism to the Kingston community. Since starting, several stories have been broken that have been further reported on by national media outlets.