YGK News is looking for a multimedia reporter to cover civic institutions in the Kingston area. Based out of YGK News, and funded by News Media Canada’s Local Journalism Initiative, this is an opportunity to cover important civic issues in the Kingston region. In particular, we are seeking a reporter/journalist who has a keen eye for under-represented communities and is able to report on equity and diversity issues in the region.
- Report, write and edit stories to be published on YGK News and distributed through various online platforms
- Initiate and develop ideas for stories and investigative projects
- Cultivate sources and establish expertise in order to break stories and set the news agenda
- Attend municipal government meetings and local events as needed (in person or virtually)
- Have a keen eye on developing national stories and investigate the impact of such events on the community
- Dedicate a portion of stories to issues facing marginalized communities in Kingston. The remainder of content published can be dedicated reporting on civic institutions and issues in the community.
- This includes racialized communities, LGBTQ2S+ communities and homeless individuals
- 1-3 years of experience in journalism would be considered an asset
- Knowledge of Canadian Press Style (CP Style) is considered an asset.
- The ideal candidate will live in Kingston, Ontario or will be familiar with the issues in the area
- It is preferred if the candidate has some experience with WordPress
- Photography/videography skills are considered an asset
- An understanding of the ATIP process is considered an asset
About YGK News
YGK News is a Kingston news publication. It started out of a CFRC radio show and was founded on a need to discuss issues that other news publications weren’t discussing. It aims to deliver engaging, independent media and journalism to the Kingston community. We will endeavor to build a bridge between the community, student populations and military populations. We strive to form a bond between the community and the diverse populations within it. To that end, we will be as inclusive as possible.
Monthly, YGK News has an average reach of between 23,000-30,000 readers and is growing.
Expected compensation: $20 per hour
Expected start-date: June 1st, 2021
Contract length: 9 months
Part-time hours: 15 – 20 per week
Application deadline: 2021-05-29
Expected start date: 2021-06-01
Employees will work from home whenever possible. If necessary, the employee will be asked to interview subjects in person or attend in person events. In such cases, the employee will follow all public health precautions.
Please email your resume to email@example.com. Please attach samples of previous work if any.